Monday, May 3, 2010

Art 107: Portfolio 4

Color Impression

The preliminary exercise for this color principle was to paint an object in a natural, or native, light.  Then the same subject in painted in similar conditions, but altering the color of the light.  The shadow of the subject should be changed to the complement of the colored light.  The color of the object is also altered by mixing the color of the object with the color of the light. 

My subject was Cup No. 27.  

Color Expression

Color typically carries with it a perceived emotion.  Red denotes anger and passion.  Blue is peaceful and calm.  We were charged with creating a composition using color to betray emotion.  By far of all the assignments this semester the most freedom was allowed with this project.  And in that, a chance to make it a bit more personal.  



Since childhood I have been renewed, energized, and refreshed by trees.  Specificallly, I loved the beauty of a tree's canopy.  I would lie on our hammock and wonder at the translucency of the leaves as they caught the sun's radiance.  I marvel at the leaves' shape, overlapping, and then the shapes of the shadows, and then the linework of the veins.

The colors I chose reflect the emotions I feel as I peer up at a tree's canopy.  Fresh, Clean, new greens adn blues reflect peace, calmness, and newness.  But also, nature energizes me, and brings me joy!  So I combined calm, cool blues and greens with bright, happy, contrasting colors of yellow and pink.  This conveys the vibrance I was seeking.

This was difficult.  And I can't say I really like the final composition.  I started, and abandoned, this project several times.  What is shown here is not what I intended.  So I guess this is the first frustration with creating an original painting.  

This was the final composition for the semester.  (Ann told me I had the highest average of the class).  I think I learned alot about color, and certainly feel more comfortable working with paint.  But I still struggle with the final color choice, the daily decisions every artist must make.  And I am afraid that by knowing more I am playing into one of my greatest tendencies and weakness, which is over-thinking decisions which should be natural and reactionary. 


No comments:

Post a Comment