Sunday, November 7, 2010

Glazed Ware

Glazing is continually a struggle for me.  But I'm beginning to develop an eye for what to look for in glazes, and I'm slowly figuring out what it is I like.  It is a slow process, but I'm getting there.  I think ultimately I'd like to just identify 4 or 5 glazes that would become my aesthetic and signature.  Maybe then glazing wouldn't be such a guessing game.

To begin the semester I thought it was sound to just go through and have a sample of all the glazes in the lab.  So each of my small bowls, with trimmed feet, is glazed a different color.  All these were fired to cone 10 reduction (removing oxygen in kiln for part of the firing).  This is also the first claybody we were working with... more recent pieces I've thrown have a whiter, more porcelain-like color, which does effect the glaze slightly.


From left to right:  Orange Matte, Ocean Green, Cannon Ball Blue


Top row, left to right:  Reitz Green, Tomato Red and Jade Celadon, Bernie's Satin Matte
Bottom row, left to right:  Tea Dust, Sana's Green, and Temple White


First pair:  Ocean Green.  This is a cone 6 glaze I made last semester, it behave differently in cone 10 reduction (as it is purplish blue rather than green).  I think I like it more here.
Second pair:  Antique Green and Barium Copper.  Antique Green is used on the inside and majority of the outside of the cup.  Just the bottom inch or so on the outside is dipped in the Barium Copper (because this is a toxic glaze and should not be used on the interior of a vessel you eat from).  I really like the subtleness of these colors.  I actually like all these cups!


Turquoise Oribe, Jade Celadon, and Blue Celadon
Each of these examples has white slip decoration beneath the glaze, which adds slight contrast to the darker claybody.  The cup with the blue celadon also had copper carbonate oxide rubbed to accent the design - and it went pink with the glaze!

No comments:

Post a Comment