Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Art 112: Portfolio 2

I'm excited to share this work with you.  Week 2 in drawing we focused on linework.  Descriptive lines, lines that create texture, lines that translate form.  Adjust of lineweight, value, and material to accurately describe the object you are seeing.

Drawing Wonder
Phase I - Texture Study of Organic Object
We each chose a highly textured organic object.  We created a grid of 9 5"x5" squares and in each we described a different topographical texture found on the object.  We were only to use line to describe each surface (which is a very difficult task!).  I ended up layering lines often to create value.  The object I was to study and describe was a cluster of clam shells, each open and facing different angles, with all kinds of various sea creatures growing on it.  (Sorry I neglected to take a picture of the shells).


The drawing was too large to scan, and you really can't see the detail of the linework in this drawing in this photograph.  It was a pretty intense assignment and I spent alot of time developing each.  I used pen, drafting pencils, charcoal, and graphite.

Vertical Line Only
Dawn Hunter, my professor, developed this project herself.  Using only vertical lines, in a grayscale of pastels,  we intuitively composed a landscape.  The entire page was to be covered in lines using value to describe the scene.  Interesting project - it was nice to let go a little and trust instinct.


Drawing Wonder
Phase II - Final Project
Chose a collection of highly textured organic objects to use in a composition.  Use linework to describe the topographic and visual texture of the objects.  The kicker:  we had to choose one medium and use it consistently.  I chose graphite (which is nice, but it never gets quite as dark as I would like).  Again, I don't think the photo is the best representation of this drawing; the detail isn't evident.  But I'm pleased with this piece.



My subject:  roots exposed due to erosion, magnolia leaves and flower center, mulch, twigs, ect.   I traveled to Louisiana for Maggie's wedding the weekend before this was due, so I ended up printing the photo and using it to create alot of the drawing.



2 comments:

  1. I'm quite impressed with the depth of detail you were able to achieve using graphite. This makes me want to pull out my sketch pad and go sit in the park somewhere & draw like i used to do many, many moons ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sketcked from a photo!? How dare you! My grad asst would be angry. haha.

    But its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete