Sunday, February 7, 2010

Art 107: Portfolio 1

Before I begin the discussion of color, I have to acknowledge the inaccuracy and discrepancy that exists between the actual color of these pieces and the perceived color after it has been scanned and displayed on a computer screen.  Instead of endless color correction in photoshop I've just decided to leave the scans unaltered.   

I've really enjoyed this exploration into the mysteries of color.  The typical structure of the class is to mix color samples with acrylic paints, paint the color samples, then organize the 1"x1" color samples according to the principle being studied.  Then we create a composition that illustrates that principle.  It is not necessary for the composition to be original, but that the color choices illustrate the principle studied.

We submit our work in a series of portfolios.  The first portfolio contained 3 projects: Color Wheel, Contrast of Hue, and Cold/Warm Contrast.



Color Wheel
I think this is the clearest example of the inaccuracy of color once scanned.  The yellow is dull and not vibrant, the orange, red-orange and red all look too similar... but you get the idea.  This was my first time to work with acrylic paint, and it took (is still taking) some practice to figure out how to get the colors flat and even.


Contrast of Hue, Preliminary
The purpose of these rows of color association is that each color distinctly contrasts (in both value and hue) with every other color in that row.  After creating these combinations we were to choose one row to use in our compositions.


Pink Tulip, 1926.  Georgia O'Keefe.  Oil on Canvas, 36"x30", The Baltimore Museum of Art. 


Contrast of Hue, Composition
We were instructed to break down our compositions into simplistic, color-by-number type rendering.  Or, to put it another way, we were not to blend colors because we would then loose the contrast among the colors and the principle we were trying to illustrate would be lost.  I apologize for my poor job with the glue.  It caused my work to warp and I couldn't get a flat scan.  (Will, please don't criticize my craftmanship!)

I have chosen to base all my compositions for this class on the works of Georgia O'Keefe.  She is a master of color, form, and composition.  Just in these two projects I have learned much from this careful and intense analysis of her work.


Cold/Warm Contrast, Preliminary
In this series of color swatches we explored the relation of value when applied to color.  The first row are alike in their high value, the second row is alike in their low value.  When colors are alike in value they have relatively the same amount of white and/or black.  The value is alike regardless of hue.  The third and fourth rows illustrate how a single color can be made warmer and cooler in relative gradations.

Waterfall-No.III-Tao Valley, 1939.  Georgia O'Keefe.  Oil on canvas, 24.5"x20".  Honolulu Academy of Arts.  

Cold/Warm Contrast, Composition
I chose this composition because I wanted to explore the effect of distance and depth created by warm and cool colors.  The slopes in the foreground are lit by the sun and are illustrated in warm tones.  Those in the distance were cooler and therefore receded.  The clouds were the most difficult area to illustrate;  how to make them light without using too much white?  The cool green seemed to work, but I find myself now wondering what would the effect have been if they were pinks and purples and oranges?  Too late now to figure that out.  The contrast between warm and cool is definitely apparent, thus achieving the intended purpose.

A word on paint.  I feel completely lost with these acrylic paints.  Though I know they are suppose to be very user friendly I often have the problem of the colors drying too quickly, and I have alot of trouble blending them.  It has been ages since I've worked with oil, but I do remember that that paint took ages to dry, and oil was a nice medium to blend colors with.   Also it is a possibility that I was spoiled by working in watercolor mostly in college, a medium where water was the solution to every problem.  

I also find the tone of these two compositions very bold and primary.  This was the assignment and it is the effect the instructor is looking for... but I do wish to play more with muted tones eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment