To familiarize ourselves with past and present functional and sculptural ceramics, we were required to produce 50 drawings/sketches of ceramic work of 5 different styles:
- 10 drawings Tribal Ceramics (I chose Native American Pottery)
- 10 drawings Asian Ceramics (I chose to focus on ancient and current Chinese pottery)
- 10 drawings American Pottery (I focused on turn of the century Arts and Crafts era work)
- 10 drawings European Ceramics (my drawings show the influence of European designers on manufactured pieces, as well as some ancient works)
- 10 drawings Contemporary Ceramic Sculpture (All the works I illustrated are pieces constructed of porcelain)
I really liked this assignment and quickly remembered how much I enjoyed drawing and sketching. I guess that is where my interest in art began; it was nice to return to that basic place. All drawings are pencil, in my sketchbook.
Tribal Ceramics
Asian Ceramics
American Pottery
(featuring the work of Newcomb College Potters of New Orleans and Greuby potters of Boston) (both among my favorite ceramic artists, and also, my favorite drawings).
European Ceramics
Contemporary Ceramic Sculpture










My goodness your sketching skills haven't waned a bit! I particularly like # 7 in the European Series. Well done!
ReplyDeleteHa! #7 (of the American Series) is also my favorite of the sketches! Did you have Dorthy Carpentar for Freehand Drawing? I was amazed at how I immediately started breaking down the image I was trying to draw into proportional analysis, reading light patterns, positive and negative space... like I took that course yesterday!
ReplyDelete