Saturday, October 3, 2009

ART 220: Project 1 (a)

The assignment was to create a series of 5 pinch pots that fit inside each other. On some of the pieces texture was required. Each piece had a perscribed surface treatment, meant to introduce us to different techniques in glazes, slips, oxcides, sigulatas, ect.

I built two series of pinch pots. Mainly because I learned so much about the clay and this hand building technique and I wanted to see the extents to which I could manipulate the clay.

My first concept was leaves (big surprise, I know). Each leaf related to a different place I have lived, a plant that spoke to a certain place.

From smallest to largest:
  • 1 Birch :: Atlanta (the tree outside our apartment window)
  • 2 Dogwood :: Jennings (the first tree I remember dad teaching me in the back yard in town)
  • 3 Dogwood :: Baton Rouge (a plant that had such seasonal change I had difficulty identifying it on plant quizes)
  • 4 Sourwood :: Montreat (a plant I loved to identify to hikers on public hikes, then I would make them chew on it to reveal its characteristic sour taste)
  • 5 Redbud :: The Tietje Farm (there was one growing by the old canal at the farm, I would watch it bloom every spring from my bedroom window)
  • 6 Gingko :: Columbia, SC (the first plant that stood out to me on my visit to the state capital building where there are several large specimens)




No comments:

Post a Comment